Like the Football World Cup a couple of years ago, the Cricket World Cup last year was yet another magnificent reminders of some of the most important lessons of life.
- Having talent is one thing, being able to make best use of it is quite another. Some of the sides considered most talented (India, Australia) didn’t make it to the finals.
- You can crib about the limited resources you have or you can make that paucity your strength – a country of just about 5 million, New-zealand kept surprising everyone! It is the strength of your resolve, the fire in your belly, the acuteness of your hunger that counts for far more than your size or the resources you have!
- It’s not over till it’s actually over, hang on, believe, keep going. That’s the one huge takeaway from the final match where Ben Stokes played the innings of his life.
- Each game begins from 0-0 – the scores of the last game, last round, last world cup don’t count. You are here, it is now! It’s a fresh start, every single time.
- Anything’s possible as long as you give yourself a chance, believe, and act. And yes, those who believe are generally luckier too – or so it seems. The biggest moments are probably won (or lost) in the mind before it reflects on the field. NewZealand had more than a couple of chances when they could have closed the match much earlier. Once they didn’t come their way, somehow they stopped believing it was their day. But England just believed and the almighty, cricket laws, & questionable umpiring all colluded to make the impossible happen. It was so freaking similar to the “Hand of God” Maradona moment of the 1986 Football World Cup finals.
- And then, there’s always another day – you play your best, and well, you move on!
Most of these are crucial determinants of success, in life, and even at the CAT!
About the author: Deekshant has sleep-walked through several 100 and 99.9 %iles in practically every section of the CAT. That he is a cricket fan and he writes okay is evident from most of his posts. 1000s of our students swear that he can motivate almost anyone to double his/her percentile through very simple yet powerful inputs. And that’s why every MBAGuru student has direct access to him via mail and Telegram. Oddly, he somehow also finds the time to write songs professionally. And yes … almost missed this … he is an alumnus of IIT Delhi & IIM Cal